2023 pick-up schedule – click here
Garbage Roll-out Cart (brown)
– Garbage collection days are every Wednesday from May 1st to September 10th; every 2nd Wednesday from September 10th through May 1st
– Do not put garbage on top of lid or beside cart. Ensure that the lid is closed firmly
– On collection day place your cart out on the street by 7:00 am. If possible, try to refrain from placing cart out the night before in order to avoid vandalism
– Carts are to be returned to their usual storage place on the day of collection
Recycling Roll-out Cart (blue)
– Recycle collection days are every other Tuesday
– Recyclable materials consist of:
- MIXED PAPER & CARDBOARD: envelopes, magazines, catalogs, paperbacks, writing paper, newspaper & corrugated cardboard
- PLASTIC & TIN: all household plastics and tins must be rinsed to remove all food particles or detergent before they are put in the blue bin. (please visit www.ncswmc.ca/multi_recycling.php)
Milk Jugs and Tetra Pac Juice Boxes are also accepted.
ABSOLUTELY NO NEEDLES
Town Compost Pick-up – Biodegradable Bags Only
– Garden refuge/Compost collection days are the first Wednesdays of each month (weather permitting) – if it is raining the pick-up crew will be out on the next available day
– Compost pick-up season will run from approximately April – October (depending on the snow)
– Compost is: grass, leaves, tree clippings and branches
ABSOLUTELY NO CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL AS IT IS NOT ACCEPTED AT THE SITE
– Please keep all compostable paper bags and branches in a manageable size and weight – if it is too heavy and awkward for you, it will be for the town crew trying to load it in the truck
– Loose material or material in plastic bags will not be picked up — compost must be bundled or in a compostable paper bag
– Compost will be picked up in back alley with the exception of the East Side of 5th Street from Stevens avenue to the South.
Clean up week (spring/fall) – **weather permitting have compostable material bundled and available for pick up in your back alley. Loose material will not be picked up. Only compostable paper bags are accepted.
Bylaw #16/22 pertains to the collection of waste and other refuse within the Town of Birch Hills.
Policy #20-2022 pertains to the collection schedule.
All provisions of the Bylaw will be enforced with fines.
The Town landfill is no longer operated as a landfill. It is now strictly a compost site and the Town no longer accepts garbage refuse of any sort at the site. The compost site can be opened to Town residents for of fee of $15.00.